Spring Break 2015


It is sort of a tradition for our children to choose a trip for their 10th birthday.  My son chose the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown and my husband took him on a guy's trip.  My daughter chose New York City.   My sister, Emily, and I took her on a girl's trip over Spring Break.  She turned ten on Valentine's Day but we waited due to weather and school.
We started off the trip with the Harbor Lights tour around Manhattan and Ellis Island.  I highly recommend this as a great way to see everything lit up and to get lots of history and architectural information.


We were up and at it at the American Girl Place the next morning.  We had lunch reservations in their cafe.  Between that and the four floors of shopping, we spent the better part of our day there!


We did manage to squeeze in some culture and the Museum of Natural History and the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  There are so many many museums that it was hard to choose.  We settled on these two and were pleased.  The Natural History was mostly animals but the Met had a little of everything.  It was also laid out better.  I would go with the Met if you only had time for one!


Times Square is a loud, crazy lit up mess!  We did pass through and visit Dylan's Candy Bar and Toys 'R Us, but it really just wasn't our scene.  Tip...save your candy shopping for FAO Schwartz.  They have the same (and more!) candy that Dylan's does minus the insanity!


After a night to see the amazing "Wicked" at the Gershwin Theater, we went to the Dry Bar to get our a blow out before our flight home.  The perfect ending to a girl's trip!

NYC was an experience I'll never forget and one I'd recommend to any traveler.  Just remember that it is a ton of walking, a ton of traffic, and a ton of people.  Be aware, be cautious, and be patient!  I loved the city but won't be going back anytime soon.  I need color and open spaces!  The point of the trip was to fulfill a ten year old girl's wish.  Done.





Comments